Rates and Premiums
CEA is focused on offering customers the best rates
California Earthquake Authority (CEA) has reduced statewide-average rates for homeowners earthquake insurance by nearly 55% since we opened our doors in 1996, making earthquake insurance more affordable than ever!
CEA rates are based on science, not profit. We use the best available science to determine competitive earthquake insurance rates.
We are not-for-profit, publicly managed, and privately funded. Our Governing Board of elected state officials ensures our rates are as low as possible while remaining financially sound.
Some commonly asked questions about our rates and premiums
- Q: How much does a CEA policy cost?
A: The minimum annual premium for CEA standard Homeowners or Homeowners Choice policies is $100. Different factors determine your premium, such as:
- Earthquake risk where you live.
- Insured value of your mobilehome.
- The policy coverages, limits and deductibles you choose.
- If your mobile has an earthquake resistant bracing system or foundation system installed.
- Q: Do you offer any discounts?
A: Yes, you may be entitled to a policy discount. CEA policyholders whose mobilehome has the following may be eligible for up to a 23 percent Hazard Reduction Discount:
- Earthquake Resistant Bracing System (ERBS) that will help to hold a mobilehome in place in its upright position during an earthquake.
- Earthquake resistant foundation system – a foundation built on-site that includes supports and piers capable of transferring weight loads to the ground without failing. Foundation systems are constructed of concrete, metal, treated lumber or wood, or masonry, that are often placed at a depth below grade.
- Q: Will CEA be able to pay all of its claims if there is an earthquake?
A: CEA has a claim-paying capacity of more than $13 billion. Also:
Read your CEA policy carefully
We encourage you to read your entire CEA policy to understand what is covered and what is not. Exclusions and special limits apply. Your homeowners insurance agent can answer any questions.
All details, limits, and conditions of CEA coverages are found in CEA insurance policies. Refer to a Sample Policy, below, for the full terms and definitions.