Your Earthquake Risk and Preparedness
How can you prepare your house to better withstand the next damaging earthquake?
You can reduce earthquake damage to your house's structure by taking steps to strengthen your home, such as:
- Bolting your house to the foundation and bracing your cripple walls.
- Strapping your water heater to the house's frame.
And reduce earthquake damage to your belongings by:
- Securing fragile items on your shelves with earthquake putty and straps.
What's the earthquake risk in California?
California is earthquake country, with more than 2,000 known faults crisscrossing the state.
According to the Uniform California Earthquake Rupture Forecast (UCERF3), within the next 30 years, there is a:
- 99.7% chance a 6.7M or greater earthquake will strike California.
- 75% chance a 7.0M or greater earthquake will strike Southern California.
- 76% chance a 7.0M or greater earthquake will strike Northern California.
What can you do to get yourself and your family prepared?
- Create a disaster-preparedness plan.
- Put together disaster supplies for your home, work and car.
- Purchase earthquake insurance to help you repair, replace, rebuild and recover.